The main symptoms of vision problems and ways to protect your eyes
Computers, tablets, smartphones have become an integral part of our lives. And this in turn strongly affects our eyes.
Perhaps the most popular visual impairment now is the computer syndrome, which develops in those who sit at a computer screen for a long time.
The person’s gaze is constantly fixed on the monitor, it stops blinking often and all this leads to drying of the eye surface and problems with focusing vision.
Kids and gadgets: how dangerous is their frequent use
Nowadays, gadgets are used even by small children when watching cartoons on a tablet or playing games on the phone.
Due to the active growth of visual decline occurs in childhood, although the development of the visual analyzer occurs up to 16-21 years.
The development of myopia in young children can lead to severe progression and cause low vision.
Constant gadgets using leads to the development of visual fatigue, poor performance, and impaired vision.
The main symptoms of vision problems
If you notice that your eyes are tired, the eyelids have become heavy and there is a feeling of “sand” in the eyes. If you also notice redness of the eyes or a feeling of “veil” – this may indicate vision problems.
You also can feel:
- strong sensitivity to light
- problems with focusing will begin
- the eyes may begin to ache in the orbit
- there will be a headache
- and even duplication of vision.
4 ways to reduce eye strain:
- You can adjust the brightness and contrast of the image on the gadgets. It should be to a minimum, which will allow you to comfortably read information.
- Every 3-5 minutes, you need to look from the monitor screen to the farthest object in the room or object outside the window.
- You need to blink every 3-5 seconds without much effort.
- Perform a set of relaxing exercises every hour.
Does it make sense in computer glasses?
You can reduce eye strain with special computer glasses, which reduce the sensitivity of the eyes to short-wave colors and increase to long-wave.
In this way:
- a person recognizes colors better
- the image becomes clearer and more contrasting, while the flicker and glare coming from the monitor are reduced.
Computer glasses should be anti-glare and have a Blue Block filter, which will block out blue and purple rays from the monitor screen.
Eye drops help relieve fatigue
If you feel dryness, heartburn, and redness in the eyes – this is Dry eye syndrome (DES), which develops from drying of the eye surface. In this case, you need to use “artificial tears”, which moisturize and protect eyes, not allowing the eyes to dry out.
Artificial tears can be in the form of gel or drops, but ophthalmologists advise choosing medicine that contains hyaluronate and dexpanthenol.
Use natural tear substitutes 1 drop every 2-4 hours of work on the monitor or if necessary.
Does exercise help reduce eye strain?
To avoid eye fatigue and minimize the load on them, you need to do special exercises for the eyes.
You can start blinking often, shift your gaze from a close object to a distant one, move your eyes diagonally or look down at your nose.
But it is important to choose exercises with a doctor individually.
Remember that for myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism, and other eye diseases, eye exercises do not help.
Vitamins, that can help strengthen eyesight:
- Vitamins A, B2, C, E
- Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Carotenoids (lutein, zeaxanthin)
They can be found in pumpkin, carrots, blueberries, broccoli, spinach, oily sea fish, nuts, eggs, greens, garlic, onions, and fruits rich in vitamin C.
Picture Credit: Pexels